Monday 2 March 2009

Libraries ain't what they used to be

I went to a public library for the first time in a while today and it was a revelation. My memories of libraries are mostly of revising for exams amidst stacks of slightly mouldy books. This library had books, but it also had lots of computers, WiFi, a coffee area, sofas, and children's areas that were usefully age specific i.e toys for younger ones and Xbox 360s and PS3's (I know) in the areas for older ones. In addition to books they had a CD and DVD lending areas with a mix of classics and up-to-date releases.

I can imagine that traditionalists would have a problem with the idea that library's aren't just about books, but for me anything that gets people closer to books and reading can only be a good thing. If people find libraries to be useful for more that just books then they might go there more often, and maybe pick up a book or two sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment