Friday 27 February 2009

Cooking...not my bag but still impressive

I meant to blog about the Masterchef final yesterday while I was watching it but didn't quite get round to it so I'm passing on my thoughts tonight. Now cooking isn't really my thing. I can put together a few basic dishes but I'm very aware of my limitations. That doesn't mean however that I don't like food. I do, I love it. The combination of my limitations and my love of food means that I was really impressed as what the three finalists did over the course of the last week.

To be honest the least of what they did was the last meal that they delivered for shouty Greg and John. All three meals looked fabulous but it is sort of what you expect from a really good amateur chef. I also thought that random army meals were not too much to be bothered about (yes it is tricky to make a meal on a makeshift stove with basic rations, but I'm not sure being able to do it or not is the sign of a great chef). The catering bits were a step up, it's a conveyor belt but it has to be multiple great, identical plates of food.

But, that all paled into insignificance compared to the various meals that they cooked for, and with, Michelin starred chefs. Unlike many TV chefs to have got their Michelin stars these guys have proven that they know what they are doing. So for these amateurs to have made them food that they enjoyed is hugely impressive.

These guys did it and more. In the end the Kiwi Mat won, but all of these chaps can leave with their heads held high. Unlike more reality shows all three contestants had to show real skill in front of people who know what they are talking about and came through with flying colours. Well done all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment