Wednesday 25 February 2009

Lenten fasts

It's Ash Wednesday which means that its the beginning of Lent. 40 days and 40 nights in the desert isn't what we are expected to do but despite the reduction in church going people still give up things Lent. In years gone by I have gone pretty extreme peaking a couple of years ago by giving up alcohol, caffeine chocolate and junk food (extreme for me that is, I realise that this is a very relative statement and most people in the world don't have a chance to take these things up, never mind give them up on a "whim"). After the first couple of days of effectively detoxing I felt absolutely fantastic. although I don't think that was the point. But that was then, this is now and I'm not quite sure yet what I am going to do this year.

There has been move in recent years not to give stuff up but to take something up. I like that idea so I think that is what I'm going to do. Not finalised yet but I think that it will involve something around either exercise or writing. Better get on with making my mind up though it'll be Easter soon

No comments:

Post a Comment